9.13.2011

My Closet Obsession

Just like the rest of America, and all of mankind, I grew up with a fascination for Marilyn Monroe and Audrey Hepburn. I'm only human. But as I got older, that old Hollywood glamour really piqued my attention. In high school, I would buy books about the original Hollywood actresses, and just devour them. Even now, whenever I go visit home, I take time to flip through these books, that I've seen dozens of times. There is something about how these women always looked so graceful, poised, classy, and elegant. Whether it was an action shot, pose for a photo shoot, or clip from a movie, the actresses never seemed to be caught off guard, and they always looked their best. And they weren't just pretty faces. These women had quotes and quips that would cut you deep, cut a man down to size. They were powerful! These women wrote the rules for what women should be like. I mean, in my opinion. If I had the time, I would spend all my time reading their biographies, and watching their movies. I am that obsessed. Here are some of my very favorites...

"A lucky thing Eva Peron was. She died at 32. I'm already 45."

Ahh, Vivien Leigh. She was the star in one of the most iconic American movies of all time: Gone With The Wind. One of my favorite movies. My sister read the book, it's ass-long, I'll probably never get around to that. But she said it was amazing. Vivien Leigh suffered manic depression and mental problems towards the end of her career, but she still never missed a beat or messed up a line in front of the camera. She even did shock therapy between scenes. Still never messed up. Ah-maze-ing.

"I absolutely loathe luxury. It is the one thing I cannot stand"

Brigitte Bardot. The 60s bombshell. You can't think of the 60's without thinking of BB. She's been married 4 times, and is actually still alive and kicking with her 4th hubby, Benard d'Orrnale. Model turned actress, the rest is history.

"The more I see of men, the more I like dogs."

Clara Bow. The face of the roaring hoop-lah twenties. What I would give to live in that era!!!! She was the ORIGINAL "It girl." But her bow shaped lips and sad eyes hid secrets. When her husband was running for U.S. House of Representatives, she tried to commit suicide, leaving a note saying that she preffered death to a public life. :( She was later diagnosed with schizophrenia, chronic insomnia, and had to undergo shock therapy. She died of old age, of a heart attack.

"Darling, the legs aren't so beautiful, I just know what to do with them."

How perfect is that quote?!? It's like 'Hey, I'm not a size 2, but I know how to werq it' or something like that. Marlene Dietrich made the menswear fashion, and tuxedo appeal, sexy for women. She inspired designers for decades to come. Another interesting about her? She was married to the same man for over 50 years. But there's a catch.... She had countless affairs. Most known to her husband, who also had a mistress. WHAT THE EF??????? Among these lovers were John Wayne, John F. Kennedy, and Jimmy Stewart. Still in shock.

To finish off this post, I'll put up some of my favorite vintage pieces, perfect for this topic, and my secret obsession.

Garments, inspired by Old Hollywood women.


$74.99 off of modcloth


$89.99 off modcloth


Noir lace kitten heel, $78 off of nastygal


This victorian inspired nightgown just SCREAMS Hollywood glam. I yuv it. $146 off of dollhousebettie.com


This little headpiece is so perfectly retro yet still somehow looks like the modern turban trend. $14.99 off of modcloth.com


I'll post more of my favorite old hollywood actresses on another post! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...