12.05.2011

Faux Fo' Sho'

out in public with the homemade vest

A while back, I wrote about a video tutorial from PS: I made this on how to make your own faux fur vest. I actually made mine a while back, and am finally getting around to blogging about it! I originally had step by step photos, but I've gotten a new iPhone since then. Darn it. Anyways, hope this helps! Just in time for the holidays!

Like I said, I followed the PS: I made this video, but I'm going to tweak the instructions, based on my experience with it.

Things to take note of...

  • Try to buy faux fur that is a little longer. When the fur is too short, it looks cheap.
  • Either cut the fabric over a blanket/tarp or outside OR get ready to vacuum the crap out of your apartment. Fur galore.
  • Buy two different furs, make one long and one short. It's so affordable, you might as well!
  • This particular tutorial creates a vest that is cut roundly, and has a drape effect in the front. If you would rather have a square-cut vest, then modify step 2. 

Materials
  • 1 yard fur (for one vest)
  • Fabric scissors
  • Marker (light color
  • Measuring tape
  • Paper
Steps
  1. Lay the fabric down on a surface, with the fur direction going down, fur-side to the surface
  2. Using the marker, trace a large oval reaching the edges of the fabric, depending on how long you want the vest.
  3. Cut out the oval shape.
  4. With your measuring tape, measure the distance between your armpits, over your collar bone.
  5. Eyeing the center of the fabric, mark the distance between your armpits. (I know it seems unnatural to mark this distance in the center of the fabric, but it works)
  6. Draw an almond shape on your  piece of paper, large enough for your arm hole to fit.
  7. Lay the almond shape vertically on one of the armpit marks (Make sure that there is at least 8-10 inches of fabric under the bottom of the almond shape. If not, then move the almond shape higher on the fabric until there is)
  8. Trace the almond shape and cut it out.
  9. Repeat on the other armpit mark
  10. Try on the vest, and tweak it to your liking. I cut belt holes in mine :> I also ended up cutting a little more off the top and sides to make it a little less bulky. 


Disclaimers
I've had a few smart a$$ boys tell me, "What's that made out of? Racoons?" to which I reply, "NO, YOUR MOMS CHEST HAIR." Sometimes, to sport a trend, you have to sport a mean streak. Plus, mean girls quotes never get old.


Hope this little diddy helps you guys out. Not really though, because I don't want yours to be cuter than mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...